No Fault Insurance FAQs

I know that Minnesota is a “no-fault” state. What does that mean?

No-fault automobile insurance is a required type of automobile insurance that applies regardless of who is at fault for the accident, but it only applies in injury cases.

No-fault benefits will almost always be paid by your own company. This is regardless of whether you were at fault for the accident. Everyone in Minnesota must have “no-fault” insurance coverage and it covers you for your injuries.

[Back To Top]

What benefits are there under no-fault insurance coverage?

Generally, no-fault insurance covers medical expenses and wage loss, as well as replacement services (such as help cleaning the house) caused by injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident.

These benefits, however, have specific limitations and amounts. If you have questions about what benefits may be available contact one of the attorneys at Simmonds & Wright for a free consultation 507-345-4543.

[Back To Top]

How do I obtain no-fault benefits?

You need to contact your insurance company and fill out an application for benefits. There are potential pitfalls to this type of form. We recommend calling an experienced lawyer before contacting your insurance company. Our lawyers are experienced in no-fault claims and all negligence claims. Call to talk to a lawyer for free.

[Back To Top]

I was in my friend’s vehicle at the time of the accident. Why does my insurance company need to get involved?

It doesn’t matter which car you were in under most cases. There are exceptions, however, such as buses and taxis.

[Back To Top]

My insurance company just sent me a letter saying it wasn’t going to pay my medical bills anymore, but I am still seeing a doctor. What should I do?

You generally have a right to contest a denial of benefits through an arbitration procedure. You should consider contacting an experienced attorney if you have not previously done so. An initial consultation with an attorney from the Law Office of Simmonds & Wright is free of charge and does not commit you to hiring an attorney.

[Back To Top]

My insurance company has been paying me benefits, but just sent me a letter stating it wants me to see another doctor for a second opinion. What should I do?

An insurance company may send you to their doctor for an exam. This is commonly referred to as an “independent medical exam” even though it is anything but independent. This is definitely a time when contacting a lawyer may be critical to your ongoing claim.

[Back To Top]

I don’t have automobile insurance of my own. Does that mean I can’t make a claim for no-fault benefits?

If you own a car and simply refuse to buy insurance as required by Minnesota law you may not be able to get benefits. If your failure to have insurance is through no fault of your own you will have other avenues available for your no-fault coverage.

[Back To Top]

Is chiropractic treatment covered through no-fault insurance?

Yes. You can generally see any doctor you choose to help you recover from injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident including massage and acupuncture. You don’t even need a referral.

[Back To Top]